Monday, September 29, 2008

Whats left?

So the LEDs, Arduino, Sparkfun Buttons and PCBs and Diodes are in the mail, what is left to source?
  • 1 x 74HC165n
  • 1 x 74HC164n
  • 1 x 14 pin IC Socket
  • 1 x 16 pin IC Socket
  • 1 x 24 pinIC Socket
  • 3 x 0.1uf ceramic capacitors
  • 1 x 10uf electrolytic capacitor
  • 1 x 10Kohm 10 pin resistor network
I have found all of these things at my local Jaycar for about $10 all up so once the shield arrives I will go pick them all up.

The last component I will need is one single resistor whose value depends on which LEDs you are using. The table below (from the arduino playground website) shows how to find your resistors value.

I have bought 5000mcd LEDs with a forward voltage of between 3.2v-3.6v and a maximum DC forward current of 30Ma however the arduino website suggests limiting to 20mA.

I am going to post a discussion on the monome forum asking about what resistor value i need as mine is 3.2-3.6 however i believe i will need 22.6kohm as i want to limit to 20mA as per the Arduino guidlines and i think it is better to sit on the higher voltage side. This could change after posting on the forum so stay tuned.

No comments: